A Dang Good Fridge Cleaning
Deep Fridge Cleaning Guidelines.
The Ultimate Refrigerator Clean Out.
Why you should Clean your Fridge.
Your Refrigerator is likely one of the most used appliances in your home yet often it can be one of the most neglected. Sadly it doesn't always get the attention it deserves, resulting in it getting mucky, sticky or smelly.
When to do a Fridge Cleaning?
Start by deciding that you will make fridge cleaning a routine part of your cleaning schedule. By committing to a monthly fridge cleaning you’ll keep odors down, prevent spoilage and can get things into the freezer (if applicable) if you aren’t going to consume them before their due date. Also, you can avoid disappointments. Let’s say you were planning on having ketchup on your burger, only to discover one of the kids put the empty bottle back in, hiding it behind the mustard and mayo. A routine fridge cleaning will prevent this culinary catastrophe.
Consider refrigerator cleaning before each major grocery haul. This will help you keep a better list of needed items while making room for the fresh food. Cleaned regularly, the task is not so daunting. However if you have not cleaned your fridge in some time why not clean it on November 15th? – Clean Out your Fridge Day. See further below for details.
Don’t worry, you don’t have to go it alone. We are here to give you a step-by-step guide on how to be successful in your fridge cleaning.
Steps to a Deep Fridge Cleaning.
Cleaning and Sorting the Inside of your Fridge.
Below are the steps to Fridge Cleaning:
- Empty out the Fridge Contents
- Completely remove all fresh, packaged and bottled food.
- Sort through the items removed
- Check due dates: Toss anything past its date, anything that has mold, and anything that has an unpleasant odor. You may be surprised by how many things are past their use by date, especially condiments.
- The counter is fine most condiments and fruit/veg, but if the job is likely to take time, transfer meat and dairy you are keeping to a cooler.
- Remove and Dismantle all the Shelving and Drawers
- It is best to let these parts warm to room temperature before giving them a soapy soak and rinse.
- When you are ready to clean these fridge compartments, use hot water and dish soap, then rinse well with warm water, heeding the advice above above first.
- Wipe the insides of the Refrigerator
- You could use a multipurpose cleaner, but many prefer something less scented as commercial cleaners can transfer odors, unless specifically designated for fridge cleaning.
- Instead, try one of these options. Both solutions will deodorize the fridge as you clean.
- Option 1 – clean with one part baking soda and seven parts water it will help with deodorization too.
- Option 2 – Mix vinegar and water in a spray bottle
- Stubborn stains and Odors – Sometimes, despite our best intentions, food drips behind something or gets in the rubber runners of the shelves and grows a spot of mold. For dried on food, mold, or stubborn odors or simply for extra sanitization try:
- Mix a tablespoon of Bleach with a Gallon of Water
- Wipe Clean the Insides of the Refrigerator.
- Rinse well – bleach should never touch food.
More Fridge Cleaning Tips.
- Work from the top down.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaners – stubborn stuck on food will release if you soak it under a cloth then use a gentle scraper, like a spatula.
Tackling the Fridge Exterior.
It’s not just the inside of the fridge you need to worry about. The outside needs attention too.
- Pull the fridge away from the wall, unplug it, and use the vacuum to clean the dust off the coils.
- Clean the door seals (aka gaskets). Use a toothbrush to get in there!
- Wipe down the door and handles.
- Once cleaned, you can remove smudges and smears from Stainless steel Refrigerators with Window Cleaner and a microfiber rag.
Putting the Fridge back together.
Now it’s time to finish the job.
- Ensure the fridge and floor are dry.
- Dry the fridge components
- Plug the fridge in and slide it back into place.
- Start adding back the shelves and drawers. Make sure they are dry.
- Look over all your jars and packages. Wipe down any containers that are sticky or have gunk under the lids or you will be back to square one in no time.
- Add back the food and other contents.
- This would be a good time to rearrange the compartments of your fridge if you want to. Organize the fridge in a way that makes it easy to see and grab what you need.
That’s it! You’re done your refrigerator cleaning!
A Fridge Freshener Hack or two!
- Now that your Fridge smells clean let’s help keep it that way. Check out this Easy Way to make a Homemade Fridge Freshener
- You may also like this blog post on Kitchen Freshener Hacks.
Other Reasons you might need to Clean your Fridge.
Sometimes you may have bought something that subsequently becomes a food recall. When that happens it is important not only to remove the offending substance but also to remove any other food substance in the fridge that may have been contaminated as a result. A good site to bookmark is the CDC’s recommendation on how to clean a fridge after a food recall. They have a great fridge cleaning infographic which is helpful in these situations.
Did you know that every November 15th is National Clean Out Your Fridge Day? It is fitting that this kitchen appliance gets its own day. After all, it is the unsung hero in your kitchen. Day after day it toils in silence. Day after day we say, “we’ll clean it out tomorrow….” as spoilage and outdated food piles up. Well, no more! Take charge of the situation and use this day to clean out that fridge!
Whilst it's origin is unclear, it is believed that this day was deliberately chosen as a reminder to clean your refrigerator in time for the holiday season. However if you do not have time to do a full clean outlined above how about celebrating the day as follows:
- Check for expired and spoiled food, drinks and condiments
- Consolidate when you have two or more of the same thing to make more room.
- If you have something still useable yet not likely to be used anytime soon think about donating it.
- Dress up your fridge door with some fun fridge magnets, photos or to do lists.
Other Dang Good Cleaning Suggestions.
Here at Dang Good Carpet and Furnace Cleaning we are passionate about clean and organized homes and businesses. Contact us for information on professional carpet cleaning, window cleaning, furnace duct cleaning and upholstery cleaning.
Feel free to Share our Dang Good Blog Post: “A Dang Good Fridge Cleaning".
#FridgeCleaning #RefrigeratorCleaning #FridgeCleanOut #RefrigeratorCleanOut #CleaningHacks #CleanOutYourRefrigeratorDay #NationalCleanOutYourRefrigeratorDay